for those who have yet to read or hear about nikolas – he is an amazing young runner. he is 9 years old and will be running 1 marathon on all 7 continents to raise money for Operation Warm.
below are the questions i asked nik (via email via his mom, tara). his answers are in bold. enjoy.
1.what got you started running, why did you want to run?
i was born to run. i’m so full of energy. i need to do it.
2. what do you love about running?
3. what made you decide to do a full marathon?
i love running so much that i wanted to just run more. i like everything about it!
4. are you excited? nervous? something else? about dec 1st?
i’m soooooo excited. i think it will be really fun.
5. what are your favorite things to eat during a long run?
i don’t have a favorite yet – trying different things. i like to eat pancakes before a long run. on some of our long runs, we go by a place that makes apple cider donuts and we stop there to have one (or two) – we call it the donut run. we name a lot of our routes.
6. what are your favorite things to eat after a race?
ben & jerry’s s’mores ice cream and milk with ovaltine and my mom makes me eat a banana. and two on days that i run 9 miles or more.
7. how did you find out about operation warm?
my grandfather started it about 14 years ago. I decided it would be a good to help kids that can’t afford a new coat.
8. where did your “nik runs the world” idea come from?
so if you mean the name, my family and i were trying out different names to call my website – at first when we came up with this one, we almost didn’t use it because it kind of sounded like world domination – but then we thought that’s funny so we used it
if you mean the idea, it came out of conversations about different kinds of running like running in a dessert or running in the snow and it became my dream to run around the world. it sounds so awesome!
9. how does your family feel about this?
they are happy. they tell me they wonder what i would be like if i didn’t run. what would i do with all of my energy.
10. what else do you enjoy? besides running?
race walking, football, hockey, baseball, golf, track & field
11. have you ever taken an ice bath?
yes! it was awesome!!! my first one was after a 12 miler
12. have you met fun people at your runs? or are you focused on the running (ie no talking, just run)
yes, lots of fun people from all across the country and canada, people like a really old man who always wears red shorts at every race. and we see him a lot.
13. what does your family like to do? (your mom, sister, dad?)
walk, have picnics, play with our dog, be together
14. what was the best advice you were ever given?
stay strong – run your own race and have fun!
15. do you have a saying, motto, philosophy that you live your life by?
yes, now what? something i ask after all my runs. after my 18 miler, i wanted to go play eighteen holes of golf. my dad was in shock.
16. if you could be a superhero, what power would you possess?
17. you can invite any 8 people (living, dead, fictional) to a dinner party – who do you invite?
thea, mommy, daddy, cosmo (my dog), roberto clemente, bart yasso, mario lemieux, dean karnazes
18. how do you like to relax?
laying on the couch, snuggling with my family watching a movie and eating treats! or playing baseball, football, hockey or more running!
we hope you enjoyed nik’s answers as much as we did.